SAN DIEGO FALL MAINTENANCE HOME OWNER CHECKLIST
Not that we are going to have much "Fall Weather" here in San Diego, it's still a good idea to make sure your house and heating system are ready for winter.
Here is a brief checklist from San Diego Home Inspector Joe DeMars to guide you through some basic tasks before cold weather setles in:
- Check window wells, dry wells and storm drains for debris or blockage.
- Repair any driveway cracks and/or heaved or settled walkways.
- Trim all trees and shrubs that are too close to the house.
- Check (ideally during a rainstorm) for rainwater drainage away from thefoundation.
- Clean and put summer furnishings away.
- Drain and store garden hoses.
The EXTERIOR SURFACES
- Check weathertightness of all exterior surfaces and components.
- Check for deterioration of painted or finished areas. If too late for a full paint job, prime and touch-up bare wood surfaces.
- Caulk and seal all joints in siding, around windows and doors.
- Check and seal any foundation cracks.
- Improve weatherstripping at exterior doors and windows as needed.
- Reset storms and screens where required.
- Look for any signs of insect or pest activity around the foundation and at wood components close to the ground.
Your ROOF (Use binoculars or hire a professional.)
- Check for loose, damaged or missing roofing.
- Check eave areas for signs of moisture build-up or damage.
- Check the condition of chimneys.
- Check flashings for signs of lifting or damage and repair as needed.
- Check and clean all gutters (eavestroughs) and downspouts.
- Check ventilation openings for nests or other blockage.
- Check the position and condition of insulation for uniform coverage.
- Look for any signs of excessive moisture or heat buildup.
Your INTERIOR ROOMS
- Check all areas for signs of roof or plumbing leakage.
- Have any fireplaces or wood stoves and flues checked and professionally cleaned.
- Reset automatic timers for the change in daylight hours.
- Check all smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries if over a year old.
- Test Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters (GFCI’s) using built-in test buttons.
The HEATING/COOLING SYSTEMS
- Clean all elements of the cooling system.
- Remove (or winterize) room air conditioners.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for the maintenance of your heating system.
- Change or clean heating system filters on warm air systems (now and regularly).
- Check heating and cooling systems for any evidence of water leaks.
- If present, clean and test the humidifier.
- Have your heating system serviced annually by a qualified heating serviceperson before the heating season to keep it functioning efficiently and properly.
- Drain exterior water lines and open taps (in cold areas).
- Insulate water lines that are subject to freezing.
- Check the condition and temperature setting of the water heater. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the temperature setting.
- Check the plumbing system and fixtures for any evidence of water leaks or blocked drains.
- Confirm proper operation of any sump pumps and free flow of the drain line.
Remember, these tips are only general guidelines. Since each situation is different, contact a professional if you have questions about a specific issue. More home safety and maintenance information is available online at www.housemaster.com.
For your next San Diego Home Inspection call Joe DeMars of HouseMaster San Diego